Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Blog Blurb


So this morning while checking out a pin on Pinterest.  The site I went to was wisebread.com.  I went to check out some DIY moon sand and while there I came across a great article entitled:  3 Lessons I've Learned Since Becoming A Parent.  Naturally when I saw the title I clicked it... I wanted to see if I learned the same things or was I missing something?

Its funny I read things like this and what she said is so true from a young first time mothers perspective. Not that it really changes as you get older, just that it becomes more rounded I guess.  Then I think of my own situaton, of being a Mom for a second round, in my 40's and how my husband and I decided to approach parenting this time.

Now dont get me wrong!  Our older girls are great and we are proud of them, but with experience and years comes wisdom.  Things that would have bothered me when the big girls were little now don't seem such a big deal.  Who cares if the playdoh is in the pool? What is it going to hurt really?  Now if that type of thing happens, we make a learning experience out of it.  What happens when the playdoh gets wet?  Does the water turn  a different color etc...

One of the things that's so different is I let my little one sit on the counter by the sink and stove while I cook.   I never would have done that years ago.  I missed out on a lot by worrying about silly things.

One of the 3 things (the first actually) that she talks about is "Don't Judge".  I think that this is one of the MOST important things we can teach our children...and possibly one of the hardest as well. How do we show them how harmful and hurtful it can be to judge someone else?  The examples that we get in life are usually just that...hurtful and harmful. You never know what the situation is in someone else's house. We all have to live our lives the way that works for us.  Doesn't make us bad, just different.  How boring would this life be if we were all the same? And lets face facts...there is only ONE judgement day and only ONE true judge.  (Ok now that doesn't mean people should run around willy nilly breaking the law! :)  )  Personally,  I tend to look for the good in a person instead of zooming in on the bad. But that again comes with years and experience...something that I learned along the way.  My Mom told me once that when she was a girl in school (Catholic) that they actually taught "Tolerance".  I think that today whether public,private, or religious schools should all be teaching this important subject. We are all different and thats OK!

Her second is about accepting help, which yes...you absolutely do need help and should accept if offered.  My help comes in the form of my 21 year old (and of course hubby but he works and his time is limited).  When I need that few minutes I know I can count on her to help.  Thats the another thing about having this baby so late in life. When we were younger, so were our parents.  We could take the kids to their house and get some time to ourselves.  Now both of our Dads are gone and Mom's are both in a small apartments with some health issues.  I am the youngest in my family and so all my siblings are even older than I!  (I know right?  Hard to imagine? lol)  They are all busy with their kids and grandchildren.  Not that they would not love to have that time with my Little Miss...just its harder now. I guess that to a certain extent, I feel I am a seasoned parent and sometimes put that pressure on my self to handle it all...not a good thing.  I guess
this is something that I still need work on lol.

Her third was about False Guilt.  Well heck, I have all kinds of guilt.  False, Fact...Fiction! ACK.  :)  But she makes an excellent point about saying "NO".  I loved her example of saying No to someone due to nap time.  EXCELLENT!  Each kid has their own schedule and what works for them.  My Little Miss needs that nap or by bed time she is a wailing, snotty (literally and figuratively) mess. I make a point of trying to get that nap in.  The way I see it...is until she is 18 I am hers.  We are going to do this in a way that works for us.  If others dont like it ...fine.  But each family has to decide what does and doesnt work for them.

I think in todays society that way too much time and energy is spent worrying about what the neighbors/others have, do, think etc.  I don't care what they have as long as it is in their yard, doesn't attract flies/critters and isn't dangerous.  I dont care what they do, as long as it is with in the limits of the law, they are respectful to my family, and pick up the dog poopies.  (LOL)  I dont care what they think!!!!  No one has lived my life.  No one has had to make the decisions that I have (some good some not so much). So, I say...Accept me as I am or don't.  Really the choice is easy.  The people that come first on my list are the ones that live in this house.  Those are the ones I have to answer to.  I will do what is best for us and our family and I pray that each of you will do the same.

Check out her article, inspiring to see the blossoming of a young mother...its all so overwhelming and emotional.  Beautiful that she shared her experience with us.
http://www.wisebread.com/3-life-lessons-ive-learned-since-becoming-a-parent


I hope that you all have a love filled and blessed day.  I am off to take a walk with Little Miss before the heat of the day sets in.  When I get back I will be finishing up a project that I have been working on since mothers day...and OHHHH what a project this has been! lol  I can hardly wait to show it off and have had a hard time not mentioning it or giving a peek.  Needless to say...stay tuned!

Oh and remember...pick up a can...a bottle...put it in the recycling today...or better yet CREATE something wonderful with it!







No comments:

Post a Comment